Monday, August 1, 2011

The day I became complete

Since I was old enough to have a doll I knew I wanted to be a mother. It was as natural to me as it was for a boy to play in the mud. When I met Jorde in September of 2003 I had no idea that our journey would take us here but I was hopeful. He is the love of my life and I knew early on that he was the one I was going to raise babies with and grow old with. Our wedding was a picture perfect fall day and set a beautiful frame for our marriage. We were pronounced Mr. and Mrs. George Theodore Scott!

The day we found out we were going to be parents came about three months sooner than expected. Jorde has always had it in his mind that we were not going to embark on parenthood before his 30th birthday. I think the man upstairs had something else in mind. I won't go into all the details but just know that it really can and does happen just like that!

The weekend we found out was the wedding weekend for our dear friends Hunter and Lauren Jarvis as well as Father's Day weekend (appropriate, don't ya think!) That Friday was rehearsal dinner. We were having a great time with all of our friends but I just felt off. Very tired and couldn't seem to enjoy my wine, which is not like me at all, so I just switched to water. Later that night we were getting ready for bed and Jorde walked behind me and in typical Jorde Fashion he pinched my toosh and asked if I had been working out, I quickly turned around, gave him an "are you nuts face" and said "are you kidding me, I haven't had time to go to the grocery store, let alone hit the gym." But the thought lingered... I had read that when you become pregnant your body will take fat storage and use it as needed during the first weeks of pregnancy. I told myself that I would go get a pregnancy test the following morning to put my mind at ease and enjoy the wedding that was to take place the following evening.

As planned, I went and ran a few errands before making our way up to the wedding festivities where Jorde would be a groomsman. One of my errands was to stop by CVS and grab one of those trusty ole sticks. After that it was all hustle bustles. I had even forgot about the test and opened a bottle of wine for me and two of my girlfriends when I remembered that I had some business that needed tended to. The boys were all getting ready in our room so I asked if I could get ready in Chris and Leslie Coxon's room where I took the test. I was all by myself and took a deep breath and let it run. Now, I have taken more than a dozen of these tests so I know by now that if you aren't pregnant there is no hint of color that will show up where that plus is supposed to be but this test threw me for a loop. The line was sooooo faint.... hummm I thought with a HUGE grin on my face... I looked at it at least 10 more times and finally came to the conclusion that I was indeed pregnant!!!

But wait, how was I going to tell Jorde, I had always hoped of doing something really creative when I told him.. I couldn't just say "hey, we are having a baby" after all these years of planning and waiting... but I wasn't going to be able to drink tonight and he would find that suspicious and I didn't want to tell him at the wedding... what a great conundrum to have.

He came to check on me while I was putting on my makeup. My face was hurting I was smiling so hard. He asked what was going on and I said nothing.. he asked again and I decided I had to tell him. So, I pulled the stick out of my bag and said "I think we are having a baby" he joined me with a huge smile and looked at the stick.... "where's the other line" he asked. I told him I have taken my fair share of these tests and never have I ever had any sort of coloring show up on that line and if you look really closely you will see the coloring I am talking about... He looked again and said "ok, I don't want to get excited just yet because I don't see anything. Will you please go and get another one." that was fine with me. I didn't hardly believe it myself.

I went to Target and grabbed two more tests that read pregnant or not pregnant to make sure there was no further confusion. Sure enough: PREGNANT real big and pretty was printed on the test reader. "Oh my gosh, I am going to be a mom... Jorde is going to be a dad.. Our life together is going to be different... we are going to be a family... what is my Father in law going to think.." I had so many thoughts as I sat there by myself soaking in the realization that there was a baby growing inside of me. After I had my moment I felt a strong sense of empowerment. It was weird. I was walking through Target to get Jorde a Father’s Day gift (since it was in the morning) and I heard a little girl asked her mom why I was smiling so big. I wanted so badly to tell her it was because I was going to have a baby! I wanted to scream it!!

Like I had mentioned earlier, Jorde was a groomsman in the wedding and was running around doing pictures and such while I was digesting all of this information. He called me while he was in the car with the boys and said "how are your errands going" I paused and said "they are going... positive..." with that he was elated. We got to the church around the same time and he gets out of Chance Louis' truck and comes to swoop me up. I start crying and Chance, being the ever so observant one says "I know what's going on!!!" we both looked at him and acknowledged that he was correct but not to say anything.

I became complete that day. There is something more important than my own wants and desires that is completely dependent on me. I am a mother, Jorde is a father, and we are a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment